Thursday 13 November 2014

Helping peple feel less alone


Alice Curling, who facilities our stress control classes, blogs about her work as part of the Leeds IAPT service.

"
"I have been interested in mental health ever since studying psychology at A-level about 10 years ago and since then I have studied, worked or volunteered in or around the field of mental health.

I have worked for the Leeds IAPT service for just over a year now and am really enjoying my job. Of course there are difficult days when things haven’t gone as well as you would hope or when sessions are difficult, but the good days; when you can see people improving, really make up for it.

My job is also really varied; I do face to face and telephone assessments, one to one treatment sessions and have recently begun to facilitate a stress control class. The class was definitely outside of my comfort zone, but I’m really pleased that I put myself forward for it. The classes cover very similar material to what we would usually use in one to one sessions but you are able to reach more people in a shorter space of time. We also get to cover a range of interventions which we sometimes don’t have the time to do in the one to one sessions. The course material has also taught me new things and techniques which I have incorporated into my one to one sessions.

Facilitating the class has definitely improved my understanding of stress and has improved my one to one practise at the same time. I would certainly encourage other workers to facilitate the groups. Although you don’t get the same immediate feedback from people that you get from one to one sessions, you can see the improvement in many people. I would also definitely encourage people who think they would benefit from attending the class to contact the service. Many people fear a group or class situation but once you come you will see it’s not as bad as you think! People are also surprised at just how many people are going through similar difficulties as them which can help people feel less alone.

I am learning all the time, not only from my colleagues but from people accessing the service as well. No day is ever the same, and I hope I can continue to learn and grow so that I am constantly improving my practise."

Alice Curling - Stress control class facilitator

No comments:

Post a Comment