Friday 28 November 2014

Change The Way You Think

Recently I went along to one of our Improving Access to Psychological Therapies (IAPT) service’s stress management classes to see for myself what they were about and see if I could change the way I think. After all, we have pre-conceived ideas about things especially if it is something unknown. The service said to me that people have misconceptions about the classes; that people will expect you to speak as though you’re at an Alcoholics Anonymous class i.e. ‘Hello my name is Andrew and I’m stressed’ – you don’t.  And nor do you have get on a sofa and talk about your childhood.

The session I went to took place during the evening at Leeds college of music. On arriving, there was a discrete sign by the front desk and a friendly receptionist directed me to the first floor room where the session was held.

The start of the class felt like any training I have been to in my professional life. The two facilitators, who led the session, greeted people as they arrived, checked them in and passed on an evaluation form. There was some nice gentle guitar music playing and jugs of water were available if you wanted to grab a drink.

With the session being the sixth course in the series there was a brief re-cap of what had been covered so far by Jake, one of the facilitators. The main theme for this session was sleep, and how to get a better night. There were lots of practical tips like not using laptops and phones just before bed to help you drop off (something I maybe need to remember).  We were also given advice on the things like the temperature of the bedroom and having blackout blinds. One of the interesting tips that the other facilitator, Alice, gave was setting aside worry time. This is the idea that if you are a worrier you stop yourself from doing it all the time and set aside 30 minutes to reflect on your problems and stop worry from dominating other things.

There are more details of who’d benefit from the courses and how to access them online at LeedsIAPT.com. The courses run on a regular basis so new ones are starting all the time.


Andrew Carver, Communications officer, Leeds Community Healthcare NHS Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment