Monday 12 May 2014

International Nurses Day 2014 - thanks to all of our nurses for all that you do!



Today is International Nurses Day 2014 and to celebrate we've asked our Executive (Nurse) Director of Quality, Angie Clegg, to share her thoughts on the profession:

I started my nursing career 33 years ago, training at St James Hospital in Leeds. There is not a day goes by that I am not thankful that I chose a career with so much variety and so many opportunities to develop personally and professionally. Nursing is often called a vocation, for me it has been a way of life. The experiences I share with colleagues, patients and relatives stretch my every emotion, from laughter to tears, compassion to grief. Over the years I feel that I have flexed and honed my emotions and professionalism to become a more compassionate person.  It is a privilege to care for others and to be cared for.  Nurses make a difference to people’s lives every day, and it is important to take time to recognise that.

We are celebrating ‘International Nurses Day’ in Leeds with blogs, articles in our internal news bulletin and by encouraging staff to spend time together this week with tea and cakes. I am celebrating with my Director of Nursing colleagues with a meal out in Leeds this evening.

I would like to say thank you to all my fellow nurses for having the courage to care even when the circumstances are tough. 

1 comment: