Monday 12 May 2014

International Nurses Day - What our nurses mean to you.

International Nurses Day provides a great opportunity to take time to consider the difference nurses make to peoples’ lives each and every day. Here our Professional Lead for Nursing, Debbie Myers, reflects on the feedback our nursing staff receive from the people they care for.
A recent call to our nurses asking for examples of the difference they make in the community returned few replies. This may in part be due to lack of time, though I suspect it is also due to nurses not recognising what they do as anything other than ordinary and they are simply ‘doing their job’. However, after reviewing feedback from patients, their families, stakeholders and students they underestimate the impact they have as it is clear that the smallest things can make a massive difference.
 
Here are a few examples of the things we’ve been hearing:
The placement area was very good, my Mentor was amazing. Anyone who has her as a Mentor will be most fortunate. My memories of my four weeks there will always stay with me. She taught me a great deal, not only about nursing but about different experiences, how to handle them, myself etc. I left this placement feeling inspired and confident. (Student Nurse)
My mentor was a really good nurse who had great rapport with patients. She was experienced, a good teacher and explained things to me very clearly. She had a keen interest in wound care and I felt spending time working with her added to my knowledge in wound care. I loved working with her. (Student Nurse)

She was the most knowledgeable nurse I have ever worked with, as well as having a lovely way with patients. Truly inspirational! (Student Nurse)

The team were very welcoming, and inclusive of students, easy to approach and always provided time to answer questions. A very professional and friendly team that made me aim to emulate their practice. (Student Nurse)
To the District Nursing team - Big thank you to you all for the care, help and support you gave to the patient and her family over many years. Without this they would not have been able to stay in her own home until aged 91 years, and also able to leave us peacefully in her own home. (Relative / Carer)
For the Cardiac Team - The whole experience was thoroughly professional but done with humour and a passion for the patients well-being. I would recommend this to everyone who has been through my symptoms. (Patient) For the Night Service - She feels the District Nurse night service nurses are the "backbone" of the service. The nurses are very skilled at delivering high quality care and know how to ensure the care is delivered promptly. She thinks we are all wonderful. (Out of Hours GP)

To the District Nursing Team - I really don't think I can find sufficient words to express my heartfelt thanks of all your nursing care and concern in treating [patient] at home. Your daily visits were so appreciated as they were always to do with keeping him as comfortable as possible but at the same time intent on healing his dreadful sores. It was with all your help and compassion he managed to bear his illness with the utmost bravery. (Relative / Carer)
For the Safeguarding Children Team – I was very impressed with your demonstrable commitment to making things better for children and families. I was also impressed with your knowledge of the safeguarding agenda. (Other healthcare provider)

My mentor was a really good nurse who had great rapport with patients. She was experienced, a good teacher and explained things to me very clearly. She had a keen interest in wound care and I felt spending time working with her added to my knowledge in wound care. I loved working with her. (Student Nurse)
To the District Nursing - Seacroft I have nothing but thanks, respect, admiration and confidence in the care I receive. A service second to none. (Patient)

To the Gynaecology Service Excellent service. Nursing staff and doctor very understanding. Treated me with respect and dignity having a very personal procedure done. I felt like it was listened to about prior concerns. (Patient)
JCMT - South 2 – on behalf of our family we would like to thank you and your team for all your care, support and excellent service. I know we didn't use your service for very long but the service you offer is second to none. Please thank all your carers on our behalf.
He died peacefully with all his family around him. He said it had been been one of the best Christmas days in all his years! He loved to always have his family around him!
(Relative / Carer)
Little Woodhouse Hall - Inpatients – patient - Thank you for helping, supporting and motivating me through my recovery. This will be the last time you ever see me -I PROMISE! Nothing will stop me, especially not an eating disorder. It won’t ruin my life ever again. Thank you. (Patient)

She was the best Mentor I have had so far. Not only an inspiration as a person but as a Nurse. She was fully aware of my learning objectives and did all she could to aid me in reaching them. (Student Nurse)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment