Friday 7 February 2014

Work Experience with LCH NHS Trust

My name is Caleb Dodd and I go to Carr Manor Community School. From the 27th to the 31st of January I was extremely lucky to be given the opportunity to undergo work experience with the Communications department at Stockdale House.

During Rob’s Blog on Monday morning I was given a special mention from Rob Webster, the Chief Executive, this was followed by a warm welcoming from the whole Stockdale House team. Immediately I felt comfortable in the working environment here.

I completed lots of tasks over the week. Some were interesting and enjoyable, some were arduous and repetitive. That was one of the things I picked up in my time here; some things however boring have to be done. Another thing I was shocked about upon arrival was the amount of work that is done around here. On Monday morning I was reassured by Gillian Neild, Communications, PR and Marketing Manager, that it would be impossible to finish all the jobs on my schedule. My daunting schedule would seem straightforward to some of the people here as they do twice the amount!

Although the working atmosphere was relaxed, there were times where I’d look up from my desk and see a room full of people relentlessly typing away, working. The professional environment suited me. I enjoyed the feeling of being a part of a team operation on a massive scale.

I did things like writing press releases, writing for Community Talk (the weekly staff e-bulletin), social media research, updating the calendar, packing boxes of NHS branded gifts, graphic design work, writing this blog post and attending a aunch event. A fantastic variation in challenges.

The H.A.L.P. (Homeless Accommodation Leeds Pathway) event was very interesting. I learnt so much about this new program. It was a pleasure to be in the presence of people who are making such an impact on homelessness.

The week was a massive learning curve for me. I was given an insight into communications that I hadn’t had before. I got to be a part of a huge organisation even if only briefly. I thoroughly enjoyed my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment