Friday 16 October 2015

A Secondment- Three perspectives

Susan Holley, Associate Service Improvement Facilitator 

I managed to secure a 3 day a week temporary secondment within the Service Improvement team as an Associated Service Improvement Facilitator.  I would continue to work in my substantive post as a Podiatrist for the remaining 2 days.

My initial thoughts were how would this work in practice?  Would I be able to juggle the 2 roles and still manage to learn new skills from the secondment whilst not compromising the work that needed doing as a Lead Podiatrist.  Initially this proved tricky as due to recruitment issues there was no backfill for my work.  After my 3 day per week Podiatry role was offered as a secondment I found the workload much easier to manage.  This involved lots of communication between my Podiatry Team Manager , S.I. mentor and and myself.  I think that this close working relationship helped make the secondment possible.

So, what would this secondment mean to me and the Podiatry department?  What would I be doing and what skills would I learn and develop?

During my secondment I have been exposed to lots of new experiences.  This has included being involved in service reviews and facilitating sessions.  I have found that I had a lot more to offer than I originally thought I would.  Sharing my knowledge and ideas gained as a Podiatrist with other services during their service review has been one positive outcome.  I have also been given the opportunity to facilitate sessions which is something that I had never done before.  I was worried that I would not have the skills necessary but with support from my mentor and the other members of the Service Improvement team I have facilitated sessions with positive feedback, including a session within the Podiatry service with my colleagues.

I have really enjoyed my secondment in particular the contrast in work between a clinical and corporate role.  The 2 roles are so different however the vision of both roles is the same, to provide high quality care to our patients. 

I hope that when my secondment ends I will be able to use my newly learned knowledge and skills, whether this is within my role as a Podiatrist or within a wider context within L.C.H.


If anyone is contemplating applying for a secondment role my advice would be to go for it.  

The new skills you learn, and your knowledge you can share with others may surprise you!

Kenny Brown, Podiatry Team Manager

What worked well? Excellent communication between Myself, Lisa and Susan supporting each other and ensuring we are ‘on the same page’ in terms of direction, supporting Susan and ourselves and having clarity of purpose. There has been excellent flexibility on all sides, enabling Susan to flex/swap her sessions when needed between both roles.

Susan has been able to share best practice in her secondment role with other services and we have been able to use Susan’s new knowledge and skills within Podiatry. The most recent workshop Susan facilitated being an ideal example, which has encouraged and inspired others as well as strengthening relationships.

There has been an openness, transparency and honesty on all sides, monitoring progress and how the secondment has developed. We have discussed different options regarding the end of the secondment and if there is a return to Podiatry, how Susan’s skills can be used not only within Podiatry but also across the Trust.

What’s hasn’t worked so well? For me, not only in this secondment but in others is that part time secondments are really tricky particularly on the secondee. In Susan’s case, not only did it mean programming changes pulling her away from the clinic she had spent the best part of 20 years in, but also Susan had to try to keep her head in both camps, keeping abreast of all that’s going on which is extremely challenging. This is no reflection on Susan personally, rather this situation has become evident in other part time secondments also.

Nonetheless, the Secondment has developed Susan , had a hugely positive effect on the Podiatry Service, and other Services whom  Susan has had contact with. Susan has  been an agent of positive change!

Lisa Falkingham, Service Improvement Facilitator

Susan joined our team in September 2014 on secondment from podiatry. As a mentor I remember being slightly apprehensive as it had taken a while to secure the secondment and I was determined that Susan should have the best experience possible. It’s always good to have someone ask you ‘why’ with fresh eyes, its made me think differently.

From day one Susan was able to share her knowledge in podiatry with other services which has been received positively and from a service improvement perspective has met the desired outcome of share and spread of improvement knowledge.

Susan and I have worked closely with her manager Kenny Brown to ensure that we offer the best support for development for Susan as an individual, podiatry as a service and service improvement across the organisation. This working relationship has been a real strength and point of learning for us all. I have gained knowledge and insight into the pressures  and tensions of front line service delivery, Susan has gained improvement knowledge, training and opportunities which she wouldn’t have when working exclusively clinically and Kenny has been reading and role modelling improvements in podiatry with the help of Susan and through a commitment to live the values of LCH.

It’s not all been plain sailing it’s fair to say and I think Susan has had to carry the largest burden of challenge in working two jobs ( I know because I’ve been there and it is never easy).The challenges have also brought learning and more questions. Our big question now is how we ensure Susan can use and build on her learning as she returns to full time clinical practice. This is work in progress.

3 comments:

  1. Hello, I am pinky islam. I have read this blog carefully. Really it is awesome blog and helpful for us. I have a good blog about Health and Beauty Tips. All tips are free, please visit my site and give me feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lung cancer often goes unnoticed in its early stages. As the disease develops, a persistent cough develop and chronic cough worsen. include chest pain, shortness of breath, hoarseness, bloody fluid coughed up from the respiratory tract, and frequent bouts of bronchitis or pneumonia. Sometimes the first was bone pain, headaches, dizziness,I was so piss off and tired of my life until i read about Dr Itua herbal medicine on blogspot i really thought it was scam when i first contacted him so little time i think about it and bought the herbal medicine which i took for three weeks and i was totally cured his treatment is so unique,I never thought i will be able to be free from Lung Cancer.But not only this Lung Cancer This great man can cure,Dr Itua also told me he can cure such diseases like... COLORECTAL CANCER, BLADDER CANCER, PROSTATE CANCER, KIDNEY CANCER, LUNG CANCER, SKIN CANCER, UTERINE CANCER, LEUKEMIA,HIV/AIDS,OVARIAN CANCER,BLOOD CANCER,MEN/WOMAN INFERTILITY,BURKITT LYMPHOMA - NON-HODGKIN.BRONNCHIAL TUMORS, BRAIN TUMORS,BILE DUCT CANCER,BONE CANCER,VAGINAL CANCER,HERPES VIRUS,LOVE SPELL,HEPATITIS,HE'S A GREAT HERBAL DOCTOR.HERE HIS CONTACT EMAIL::: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/WHATSAPP:::+2348149277967

    ReplyDelete