Thursday 12 June 2014

Celebrating Nursing Assistants' Day

On Thursday 12 June, we decided to recognise the hard work of nursing assistants with a celebratory day.  

Working across the city, both day and night, nursing assistants are essential to ensure the trust continues to provide a high standard of community nursing care.  

Five community nursing assistants took time out of their busy schedule to give us an insight in to the role of a nursing assistant at LCH. Huge thanks to Julie, Karen, Adele, Maggie and Janet for their time, here’s a few snippets from our chat:

What made you want to become a community nursing assistant?    

Karen: “It was my friend that is also a nursing assistant that encouraged me to consider becoming one. I first started with a one month contract as an agency nursing assistant at Meanwood Health Centre but I ended up working there for seven months, during which I fell in love with the job. As soon as a permanent band 3 post came up, I applied and was successful.”

What attracted you to join LCH as a community nursing assistant?

Maggie: “As I don’t drive, this was the first nursing assistant role I had seen where I could walk, rather than being required to have a car to get around and see patients. I really enjoy getting out and about in the community, I find it is much more relaxing than being on a ward. Plus I feel empowered to make decisions yet know I have a supportive team to contact should I need to.”

What do you enjoy about being a community nursing assistant?

Karen: “I enjoy working with some of our more challenging patients, especially when I can bring out their sparkle and find a common interest to chat to them about and bring them out of themselves.”

Adele: “I have been with the trust for four years now and enjoy every aspect of my job. Daily, it offers me the chance to meet new people, be challenged and take on responsibility.”

What would a typical day involved for a community nursing assistant?

Janet: “I work on the day shift so the first part of my day generally involves being in the community, providing treatments such as doing leg dressings, taking pressure measurements, assisting with bowel care, giving insulin and eye drops, etc. The nursing assistants and myself then head back to base (there is 12 bases across the city) at lunchtime to regroup, discuss patient care and get work schedules for the next day. After this we will all head back out, either to a patients home, day centre or residential home. No two patients are ever the same so my day is always varied.”

What has been a highlight during your time as a nursing assistant at LCH?

Adele: “In my previously role at a residential home, I only did personal care but becoming a nursing assistant has allowed me to learn more and offer the next level of healthcare to patients. The training opportunities at LCH are really good.”

Janet: “One of my personal achievements is getting my NVQ level 3, which I did through the trust.” 

What would you say to someone thinking of becoming a nursing assistant?

Julie: “Other members of my team and myself work a lot with students, taking them out in the community with us, mentoring them. For anyone thinking of a career in nursing, being a nursing assistant is a great way to start and give people insight in to healthcare.”
 
Sarah Elwell, Communications Team

1 comment:

  1. Well done ladies you are a credit to your organisation

    ReplyDelete